Friday, December 11, 2015

December Reviews - Nightgown Patterns and Riley Blake Flannel Fabric


We have two great pattern reviews for you today. You may recognize this first pattern, it's the Children's Corner Ruthie. Sharon reviewed it for us last month using corduroy. 

** If you would like to see an image on our blog in a larger format, just click on it to enlarge. **

Don't you love it when a pattern is so versatile it can be used for more than one purpose?
 

Hello ladies! I have sewn Ruthie View A with the long sleeves instead of the short sleeves. I used the Riley Blake flannel as well to make this dress into a night gown. No mods needed.

This time on the Ruthie pattern I added ric rac to the collar, in-between the bodice and skirt, and to the sleeves ends as well. The pattern includes instructions for adding the ric-rac to all of these places except the bodice/skirt pieces. The instructions were very well written for this part. The ric rac was sewn in the first time and looks great! No seam riper needed!

As I said in my last review of the Ruthie pattern, I love how this bodice sews up! I have to mention it again because it's just that clever. (You can read the full details of the Ruthie pattern review here.) This is a dress pattern that you will want to sew again and again for sure!

Onto the fabric. With winter fast approaching, flannel is perfect for pjs and nightgowns for the whole family. I used Riley Blake Summer Breeze flannel. I have sewn my fair share of flannel fabrics over the years, but this, by far, is the best quality I have ever used. It is nice and thick. It gathers very well because of this. And the collar holds it's shape so nicely. It made for a very sturdy button placket as well. This is so very important with a five year old little girl who loves to dance and jump around in her nightgown. I know that this night gown will last beyond her out growing it.

The other wonderful part about this flannel is how soft it is, inside and out! As soon as I put this on her she started to yawn big time!! That would be a mother's score I think, ha-ha! She loves this so much with how cozy it is and requests to wear it ever night now. I can also say how pleased I am with how well this washes too. The colors are holding up very nicely and it is still looks new.

For the inside back bodice lining I used Fabric Finders White SV Imperial Broadcloth. This was very lovely to work with and feels dreamy against the skin as well. This fabric is am excellent fabric to line any clothing garments with. I think it would be very lovely for smocking as well. 
 

Back to the Ruthie pattern. I wanted to show you the back of the View A bodice. The shorter bodice is perfect for making a night gown. It makes it very comfortable for sleeping in. Also, the skirt on this pattern is not too gathered, which reduces bulk. Overall the Ruthie is very comfortable for my daughter to sleep in. 

The only part that I did change is the how much I hemmed the dress. I made the hem 1" shorter to make the night gown longer than the pattern calls for. It was so easy I wouldn't even call it a modification.
 

You can find all the these products in the Whimsical Fabric Shop.
Click on the names below and the link will take you right to them.  

Sharon

Hello friends! Today, we are also looking at the beautiful Ellie Inspired pattern, Beautiful Dreamer.

This is a cozy nightgown and robe set. It's such a pretty, feminine pattern. A true "nightgown". I was drawn to this pattern because of the classic feel it has, and also because of the roominess I could see it would provide. And, with my picky daughter, I knew that would be a plus.

The pattern comes in sizes 1-12 and includes 3 different sleeve options. There are many ways that it can be embellished, from the hem to the bodice. I chose to use some lace trim on the bodice and left a plain straight hem. Though the pattern also gives direction on placing a ruffled hem and details on placing pin tucks on the bodice. I'd love to try that route next time, because it is darling and provides an extra special detail.

And as you can see, I chose to do the long sleeve version. I almost chose to do the flutter sleeve version, because I wanted to make the robe. BUT, my daughter begged for the long sleeves. So...may as well make it to her liking. I do plan on making a very lightweight flutter sleeve version for summer, with a matching robe. It'll be so flowy and dreamy, I can't wait.

This pattern was perfect for us because my daughter is very sensitive to elastics. These sleeves have a great little casing for the elastic, providing superior comfort.

The nightgown has a button up back with placket. You can use snaps or buttons.

As far as the construction and quality of the actual PDF pattern, you really can't go wrong with Ellie Inspired. The pattern prints out and tapes together flawlessly and takes no time at all. Printed pieces for bodice and sleeves, and measurements for skirt. Instructions are well laid out, with clear pictures and an easy flow. Size and fabric charts were spot on. Hand sewn lining provides superior sleeping comfort.

Now, let's touch base on this flannel. If you haven't sewn with Riley Blake flannels, you really don't know what you are missing out on. I have made many pajamas in the past, with some inexpensive flannel, and some very expensive flannel. None of it has held up to the same standards as this flannel. Plus, it was a dream to sew with. So buttery soft, you really can feel the difference.

Here are a few pictures I took today, after WEEKS of wearing this nightgown EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. No lie, every night. With several wash/dry cycles. I have treated it no differently than her favorite t-shirt. I think you'll agree, it has held up to that much wear pretty great. Great example of the wonderful construction of the pattern as well.

Nichole

Today is a great time to pick up these two patterns as all of our pj and nightgown patterns are 30% off.  In addition, all of our Riley Blake flannel is also on sale for 30% off.  This is an amazing deal!  Stock up now.  It's getting cold out there!  These sale prices are good until 11:59pm MT Sunday, 12/13.  Hurry and order today!
http://www.whimsicaldesignsclothing.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=347

Happy Creating!
Danielle Storm

www.whimsicalfabric.com

No comments:

Post a Comment