Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Mattie and Sara Pattern Reviews


Hello everyone!! Today we are bringing you another couple pattern reviews. The Mattie Knit Shirt, by Children's Corner and an adorable skirt to compliment it perfectly, the Sara's Skort, also by Children's Corner Patterns. 

Note: Please click on images to view in a larger format.

Let's look at the Mattie Knit Shirt first. Here I used a dreamy knit from the Art Gallery Wonderland line, Diamond Flush Dance.

This is a paper pattern, which comes in sizes 1-10. The sizes are not nested, which means I didn't have to trace out her size 5. YES!! No printing and no tracing. Already off to a great start!

This is a very classic, very versatile, staple for any closet.  It comes with either short or long sleeve, and a dainty ruffled finish on the sleeves and neckline, which can be omitted of course, as you can see on mine. Mattie also has a two buttoned placket. Mattie is designed for knit, though I have to admit, I think I'm going to try this in woven as well

So, let's stop and talk about this placket really quick. If you are one to avoid plackets, or find them hard to do...you need this pattern. I have never been a big fan of plackets myself, because I haven't felt confident when doing them. {bad directions usually, and considering I'm self taught I had never learned the proper way} This pattern has changed that for me. I will use this method from now on with ease. Knit or woven

It's the little details that make this shirt. Pattern calls for lettuce edge rolled hems on the ruffles, which again, can be omitted or even left raw.

As you can see, I embellished the top with a bit of free motion applique.  I cut it straight from the extra yardage I had from the Art Gallery Wonderlandia Fondant fabric I used on my skirt.

Which brings me to the next pattern, Sara's Skort.

  
This is a lined skirt with sewn in shorts (shorts are unlined.)  The skirt is fitted in the front for a nice smooth look. Back is gathered by elastic casing. You can hem the skirt with your favorite trim. As you can see I have used ric rac. The pattern also has directions for a dainty ruffle. I think I'll try some pom pom trim next time.

My daughter loves this skirt. It's very roomy and it allows for plenty of movement, which has been a big pet peeve of mine on my other skirt patterns. Not to mention, those built in shorts for coverage. Don't have to worry about extra bloomers...I am happy!! 

I love how both of these patterns are classic and trendy. They are both going to be staples in my sewing room.
  
All products and patterns are sold on the Whimsical Fabric website. Click on the names below to find each product in the shop. 

Shirt: 

Pants:

Notions:

Be sure to share all your creations on our Facebook group as well! 

Nichole

No comments:

Post a Comment