NOTE: Please make sure you read over the Art Museum pattern directions prior to starting this sew-along. You should keep these directions open and where you can read them as you go through these lessons. You might want to carefully read through this lesson also before beginning.If you have any questions, suggestions, or tips to share; please make sure to post them on our Facebook group. Also, if you would like to see any of the images larger that are posted in this blog, just click on them to enlarge.
This is the very last day of our Art Museum Sew along - I hope that you have been having fun, I can't wait to see all your finished creations!
Make your Belt Loops:
1. Take your belt loop section - you are going to iron this the way you would bias tape.
2. Press your outer edges in to the middle.
3. Press in half.
4. Top stitch along both edges.
5. Cut your loop strip into six 3.5 inch sections. (Discard an extra you have left over.)
Attaching Your Waistband:
1. Lay out your waistband facing (the cotton) and your main waist band (the yellow twill).
2. Fold it in half matching the short ends and stitch together using a 1/2" SA.
3. Press the SA open.
4. Sew the bands together along the circle, right sides together.
5. Press the seam allowance over to the lining side and understitch 1/8" from the seam on the lining side.
6. Press the bottom edge of the lining up to the wrong side 1/4 inch and stitch in place.
7. Pin your belt loops in place, centered on each notch along the top of the pants.
8. Pin the unfolded edge of your waistband over the belt loops and pin in place.
9. Stitch the waistband and belt loops to the pants - make sure to remove the pins as you sew.
10. Trim your SA to 1/4inch and press the SA away from the pants.
11. Flip the waistband up away from the pants and press well along the seam line.
12. Tack your belt loops down 1/4 inch from the waist seam.
13. Flip the waist band down and press along the seam, Pin in place along the waist seam.
14. Stitch the waistband facing starting at the front right belt loop and stopping at the front left belt loop - you are going to stitch in the ditch from the right side so that there is no visible stitching on the front.
15. Take your elastic (I love that the Whimsical Fabric kits always include the notions you need like elastic or interfacing!) and cut a length approximately 5 inches smaller that your child's waist. *My one pet peeve with O&S is that they do not include elastic measurements. You can always use the recommendation from another pants pattern you have, or cut it a bit long and then fit it to your child.
16. You are going to feed your elastic through the opening left in the front between the two belt loops. Attach a safety pin to one end and push it through. Once you have it threaded through, stitch each of your ends in place at the center of the belt loop.
17. Stitch the opening closed from belt loop to belt loop making sure to back stitch at each end.
18. Fold your belt loops down, turn the end under 1/4 and stitch at the waistband stitching line. Make sure you back stitch so that your stitching wont unravel with wear and washing.
19. Your kit included an extra button. If you would like, you can add a faux button hole and this extra button to your pants.
That's it! You are done. Congratulations!! Now go try this awesome outfit on your handsome little man.
Don't forget to make him a bow tie. If you purchased a kit you will have received the hardware and fabric to make one. You can find the tutorial for that here.
* If you would like to enter the prize drawing, please make sure you submit a picture of your completed lesson seven to the Facebook Album by 12:00 noon CT, Thursday, March 19th. Also, if you have any questions the Facebook Group is a great place to ask.