Tuesday, June 28, 2016

June Tutorial Tuesday - Patriotic Flag T-shirt Tutorial


Hello! I'm Heather and I call my little part of the blogosphere, All Things Katy! Today, I'm here on the Whimsical Fabric Blog to show you a quick, simple Fourth of July flag T-shirt using a Whimsical Fabric Single Ruffled Short Sleeved Tee and some fun ruffled ric-rac.
Lil' Miss Fourth of July!

Okay, let's jump right in!
First, let's gather some supplies. For my size 6x, I used the following:

• 1 size 6x Whimsical Fabric Single Ruffled Short Sleeved Tee, color white.
• 9" of Ink Blue Ruffled Ric-Rac (cut into 3" segments).

• 40" of Red Ruffled Ric-Rac (cut into four 7" segments and three 4" segments).

• Thread to match
• Sewing Machine
• Walking Foot (optional)

Step 1
The first thing I did was divide my t-shirt blank into quarters. I ironed a crisp crease through the vertical and horizontal of the t-shirt . I did this so that I could easily find the center of the shirt.

Step 2
Next, using the center cross-hair mark as my starting point, I measured in 1" increments down, three times and three times up (from the cross-hair). You should now have a total of 7 lines. Be sure to make your marks in something that can be erased and/or the ink disappears. Personally, I like to use the Pilot FriXion pens.

Step 3
Before attaching the ric-rac to the shirt, I made sure to heat-seal the cut ends. I did this by quickly "kissing" the cut edges of ric-rac to a lighter. This will help the ric-rac to not fray after wear (and washing).

Step 4
I used the guide-lines that I drew in step 2 to help me attach the ric-rac to the shirt in nice, straight, even lines. I used my walking foot attachment, a ball-point needle and a longer stitch length (3.5 on my Brother sewing machine). I started with the red ric-rac and then moved onto blue (less thread changing ;-).

Step 5
Iron out the shirt and make sure that no markings from step 2 are visible. Go grab your cute model and *voila!* your little cutie is ready to celebrate the 4th in style!!
Ta-Da!

Happy Fourth of July!

by Heather of All Things Katy!

Thanks for the great tutorial Heather and happy creating everyone!
Danielle Storm
 
www.whimsicalfabric.com


No comments:

Post a Comment