Hello! Sharon here with September's Block of the Month!
This month's block is a star patch. The star patch is really a nine patch with a few more added squares to it. It is made with only square pieces so it is the same concept that we have already been working on.
In case you missed the announcement in January, I will give you a little recap. On the first Monday of each month, I will teach one quilt block pattern. You have until the last Monday of the month to sew your quilt block(s) and enter them into the album in our Facebook group, Whimsical Fabric & Me.
Each block that you sew and enter into the Facebook Album will count as one entry into our monthly drawing. If you make two blocks, that is two entries. Make four blocks, that is four entries, and so on and so on. There will be a prize drawing each month.
*scrap fabric pieces
1. First we will need to cut out nine 2" squares. Mine are placed out in the order they will be sewn. You will need eight dark colored squares, and one light colored or bright square. (Refer to photo below with block color placement.
2. With the same light color fabric cut out eight 1¼" squares.
3. Take one of your dark colored 2" squares and place the smaller light color squares on top of it, right sides together. Stitch the light color square to your darker square by stitching right down the middle from one corner to the other corner as pictured below.
4. Trim away the extra from the block's corner to a ¼" seam allowance. Press your seam to one side.
5. Take a second light color small square and place on top of the darker big block on the opposite bottom corner, right sides together. Stitch the light color block to your darker block by stitching right down the middle from one corner to the other corner as pictured below.
6. Trim your seam to a ¼". Press the seam towards one side.
7. This is what your block will look like now. Repeat these steps with three more of the darker squares.
Remember that you can chain sew them all at once as well!
8. Now time to lay out your squares to be sewn together! Use the picture below as a map for square placement.
9. Sew your squares together in rows of three squares. Be sure to press each row's seams in a different direction. (As in the top and bottom row press the seam towards the outside and the middle row press the seam towards the center.)
Here is a photo of the back side with the pressed seams.
10. Now sew the three rows together as laid out in the photo, with pressing the seam towards the center of your block.
Back side picture.
After you have sewn all your blocks together for this month please go over to our Facebook group and share each of your blocks in our September Quilt Along album for a chance to be entered into our monthly drawing! You have until Monday, September 26th at 12:00 pm (noon) CT to enter your blocks.
Remember, there is no required amount that you need to make. Make as many or as few as you would like.