Items to Collect
*Note: Links to products within this post are either links to our website or affiliate links.1. You must have the Playtime pattern to be able to take part in this sew-along. If you have not yet purchased this, please do so here. This pattern is an instant download and you will have access to download it as soon as your purchase is completed.
2. If you do not have fabric for the project you will want to purchase some. At the time of this writing we have have lots of fabric kits available. We also have lots of nice fabric selections on our website.
Note: We greatly appreciate your purchase of patterns and kits from us. These purchases help pay for the sew-alongs and allow us to continue to offer them, along with the great prizes we give away. Thank you for your support!
3. The leggings require 3/4" wide elastic. Our Playtime fabric kits all come with elastic. If you are not purchasing a kit from us, please make sure you have some on hand.
4. The dress/tunic requires fusible interfacing for the placket. All fabric kits come with this. If you have not purchased a kit from us you will want to make sure you have enough interfacing on hand to complete the project.
5. The dress/tunic requires three 5/8" buttons or snaps. Again, fabric kits came with buttons, so if you purchased one, you are set.
6. A fabric marker or pen. This will be important to have on hand. We will be using it to mark out the collar template for topstitching on your dress/tunic.
7. You will want a stretch (or ball point) twin needle for sewing. You can find one at most stores that sell sewing supplies or on Amazon.
8. And finally, you will need pins, a sewing machine, a good iron (a steam iron is preferable for sewing), a pair of fabric shears or a rotary cutter and mat, and a quilting ruler.
Optional Items to Collect - The following items are totally optional.
- I like to trace out all my pattern pieces on freezer paper. We will not be teaching this step, but you can read more about it here. Feezer paper can be bought at most grocery stores (by the wax paper and aluminum foil) or on Amazon.
- Make sure to prewash and preshrink all of your fabrics. I wash my fabrics on warm or hot and then I dry my fabrics in the dryer with no softeners. I always preshrink in this way when I am using fabric for clothing construction. I would hate to work hard on something only to have it shrink and not fit when I was done.
- I also prewash my fusible interfacing to preshrink it. This will prevent any wrinkles or waves that might arise when you iron or launder your garment. To prewash your interfacing simply soak it in a sink for about 5 minutes in very warm water. You don't want the water too hot to avoid removing the iron-on finish, but you do want it warm enough to shrink the interfacing. After soaking, just pat it with a clean towel and hang it to dry.
- Make sure to download the pattern PDF onto your computer, tablet, or smart phone. Your pattern will be located in your order history on our site. Log into your account, then click on the My Account at the very top right hand side of our site. You will then see a list of your orders. Click on the correct order and a download link will be available.
- Please make sure to have printed your pattern pieces and taped them together before lesson 1. We have not included this part in the lesson. Do NOT cut out your fabric yet. Sharon has a tip about cutting out your fabrics that she will be sharing in the first lesson.
- Don't forget to join our Whimsical Fabric & Me Group so you can post your progress pictures.
At the close of the Sew-Along we will be giving away 6 Oliver+S PDF patterns as prizes. Winners will be able to pick which pattern they desire form any of the Oliver+S patterns we stock. Make sure to join the Facebook Group so you have a chance to win! Each prize pattern has up to a $16.95 value.We will give out entries for the prize pool drawing during the sew-along. There are three different ways to earn entries into the prize drawing.
- Each day that you turn in an assignment on time you will receive 1 entry per item you create. Thus, the more items you make, the more entries you will receive.
- We will also award 1 entry for purchasing the Playtime pattern from us using the coupon code SewAlongSavings or from the Sew-Along #31 Category.
- In addition, if you purchased a kit from the Sew-Along #31 Category we will award you another 2 entries for each kit purchased. *Note: Patterns purchased within the kit count as pattern purchases outlined in step #2 above.